Saturday, January 12, 2013

Children's Day in Thailand

Today, the second Saturday in January, is Children's Day in Thailand.  It is celebrated to give children the opportunity to have fun and to create awareness about their significant role in the development of the country.  There is a Thai saying that "Children are the future of the nation. If the children are intelligent, the country will be prosperous."

Children's Day was celebrated on Friday, January 11, at our school in Baan Nong Phue, the climax of "Sports Week," during which students competed in various athletic competitions.  It was a good time from a weather perspective:  we're in "winter" now and the temperatures are not too hot, but the sun still warms you quickly.

The celebration started early in the morning with a parade though the town, and the community was heavily involved.  Our students were split into four teams identified by their colors: green, red, yellow, and blue.

Our band warmed up:


Flag bearers, parents, students, and teachers got organized:







And they were off!




































On the highway through Nong Phue:



Entering the school grounds:


















Lining up:



Guests from the community:


Raising the flag of Thailand:


Opening of the day in an exchange between Director Sutipong and the Chair of the School Committee:


Two of the day's announcers -- teachers Tom and Thanorm:


The torch was lit:


The four groups of students marched off the field to their tents:


  
 

The races began and medals were awarded:


















The students kept running hard all morning:
















George got to dispense some ice cream and award some medals.



















An acrobatic dance troupe from a nearby school put on a great show:


There was some dancing going on along the sidelines that George joined for awhile:


The students lined up on the field again for final presentations:






















And the flags were lowered:

  

After a teachers' meeting with the Director to review the event, there was a great al fresco dinner for the teachers (who had worked hard all day) featuring Thai chim chum (according to Wikipedia: a Thai style hot pot where the ingredients (meats, vegetables, mushrooms, noodles) are cooked in a clear herb broth of lemongrass, galangal and kaffir lime leaves.)


A good time was had by all.





 

2 comments:

  1. George's beard has grown back. Now you look like George.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, James, for noticing that and bringing the subject up here. I said I'd probably announce my decision in the posting on Taipei, Part 2, but I was so excited to finish that and get it published that I forgot.

      I did decide to grow the beard back. The argument that I heard for keeping it was that it made me look younger, but I never saw that myself, plus I don't feel a need to look younger -- I still feel pretty young. A beard isn't trouble-free, but I think it is less trouble than being whisker-free. The big factor though was what you said in your comment -- it just wasn't me. From the start (back on July 4, 1972 - shortly after I got out of the Air Force and had the freedom to grow one), the beard carried some notion of "wildness" for me. Yes, I had a serious job for many years and wore a suit and tie for most of those years, but (in my mind) the beard said I wasn't defined by that, that I wasn't a captive of that world. Without a beard for a few weeks, I found I needed that back. So, while I think it's good advice to "Beware of Thai barbers," I'm not totally sorry it happened -- it was a little "midlife" learning experience.

      Delete